Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

Project Runway All-Stars Episode 7: Puttin' on the Glitz

Isn't it a bit, I don't know, costume-y?

This week the designers had to design a costume for the Broadway revival of Godspell. I've never seen Godspell, but I've seen Project Runway lots of times and I know that these "costume" challenges are the most fun for the viewers but rarely reflect the designers' point of view (unless that designer is Chris March. I wish HE was on All Stars!). Nonetheless, the designers do the best they can to create a look that is described to them as "a rich lady who is dressed on stage by the other cast members in clothes that look like they come from the thrift store." Kenley was in heaven! Thrift stores? She LOVES thrift stores! She's pretty sure she'll win (SPOILER: She doesn't.).

Mentor Joanna Coles and designer Mondo Guerra in the workroom
Joanna Coles workroom critiques follow a predictable pattern of three thoughts: 1. This looks just like what you always design. 2. Look around. Do you really think you belong here? (Ahem. Kara.) and 3. HOW DO YOU WEAR A #&$%-ing BRA WITH THIS?

The bra issue is her personal obsession and will come out in every challenge. However, in this challenge she may have helped the designers out with even more criticisms of the practicality of their designs since part of the challenge was that the outfit had to be assembled on stage. So how exactly would that work if some of these looks are basically halter tops over an otherwise nude model? (I'm looking at you, Michael Costello.) Isn't Godspell a family show??

So here's how they did:


Austin Scarlett--Okay, so which pieces are assembled ON STAGE and what would the actress be wearing BEFORE that??


Jerell Scott--It's okay, and it's about as good as Jerell gets. How does someone SO adorable consistently have such BAD taste?


Kara Janx--Time to go, Kara. Face it, you never should have been here in the first place.


Kenley Collins--I really loved it! The judges didn't love it as much, but whatever. I would wear it if I were a Broadway star who, for some reason, got to pick out my own character's costume without having to consult with anyone else.


Michael Costello--Oh for God's sake, Michael. Please tell me you know how to make something OTHER than a draped halter top and wrap skirt! This was NOT the challenge for this look! And the shoes are all kinds of ridiculous.


Mila Hermanovski--Once again benefitting from having a designer who is worse than her on the runway. That luck won't last forever, Mila.



Mondo Guerra--Oh fun! And if Godspell doesn't use it, maybe there will be a revival of Cats! Really, though, I love, love, loved it. It really looked theatrical, but in the best way.

Austin Scarlett on Broadway
And the winner is: Mondo! Here is Lindsay Mendez wearing a version of Mondo's winning design in Godspell. I like Mondo's better.




So to recap: Mondo easily won (Kenley was a little bummed but I'm sure she'll live). And in the race for the bottom: Kara! Was anyone surprised, really? Well, I admit I was surprised. Surprised that Kara was even in All Stars to start with. See ya, Kara!



No comments:

Post a Comment