Pages

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Under the Gunn: Nick Verreos is exactly the kind of mentor I expected him to be (in that he's a horrible mentor)

I hate you, Nick Verreos. Oh, you are so...ugh.
I haven't blogged in a while but Nick Verreos is getting on my last nerve. My very last.

I've been watching the new Project Runway spinoff, Under the Gunn, with cautious optimism. Tim Gunn hosts a design competition (that's enough to get me to watch right there) in which twelve designers are mentored by one of three former Project Runway designers. It's like Project Runway meets Fashion Star, which could be good...maybe.

The choice of mentors is interesting. There's Season 9 winner Anya Ayoung-Chee, Season 8 runner-up and All-Stars winner Mondo Guerra and, uh, Nick Verreos, fifth place contestant from Season 2. But to hear Nick tell it, he's the only mentor worth anything because he knows everything--everything, he tells ya!--there is to know about everything. Plus he comes with bonus Nicks! There's "Instructor Nick," "Hands-On Nick," "Uncle Nick," and "Fashion Bible Nick." Except they're all the same annoying, self-obsessed, fifty-year-old diva. Ugh. I can't even.

Sure, some of Nick's designers are also annoying and that's not entirely his fault. Isabelle would be unbearable no matter whose team she was on. At the same time, if Nick had a more attractive personality as a mentor then more of the better designers would have chosen to be on his team. So it is his fault really.


No comments:

Post a Comment