Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Project Runway All-Stars Episode 10: Let's Get Down to Business

Project Runway All Stars designer, Kenley Collins

It's down to the final four and the designers are tasked with creating a commercial look that can be manufactured (locally) on a budget. It was interesting to see how a coat that retails for $500 only has about $65 in the budget for fabric. Wow, those manufacturing costs and markups really add up!

Nanette Lepore Project Runway All Stars

Despite a few minor snipes back and forth between Kenley and Mondo, the designers seem to be moving along smoothly. Of course, their workroom visits are coming up so they'll all have to explain to Joanna Coles exactly what kind of bra you can wear with each of their looks. It's sometimes literally her only question.


Kenley Collins
I've never disliked Kenley's designs, and I don't dislike this either. But the other designers have pointed out that she never seems to take the time to line up her patterns along the seam lines, but she doesn't make them so "unlined up" that it looks intentional either. So overall it looks a little cheaper than she probably means it to. I think she expects her great prints to speak for themselves sometimes but I know she can do better.



Michael Costello
I'm not sure why Michael isn't criticized as much as Kenley is for making the same dress over and over again. It's nice and I would wear it if I had the height and shape to pull it off, but what would a runway show of his look like? It would look like Mrs. Roper from Three's Company was having a dozen hot models try on her clothes for her.



Mondo Guerra
Do you ever feel like Mondo's models aren't cool enough to wear his clothes? I love everything Mondo's ever done and I hope he wins, but this model looks like a mom in an early 80's laundry soap commercial who has stumbled into her modern daughter's wardrobe. I don't know. Maybe it's the beige hair and beige shoes.



Austin Scarlett
Another case of a model looking crappy in an otherwise great garment. I love the colour and the silhouette, but it fits oddly. The arms are too short, the hemline's a tad high, and the fit in the shoulders seems odd to me. Oh my god, Austin made this for HIMSELF, didn't he?

So in the end, the final three are Mondo (the winner--hooray!), Austin and Michael. As a fan, there is something very satisfying about seeing the three contestants whose personalities I found the most endearing making it all the way to the finals. Oh gee, you don't think the producers knew that, do you? No, couldn't be. Although it does make me think of Elisa's exit interview in which she said that Austin Scarlett should win, not because of his designs, but because it would make the best overall narrative. Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment